Reopening in the Fall
The Porter-Gaud Reopening Task Force is working to provide you with clarity about the year to come. Our preliminary plans incorporate the School’s guiding principles, which are mission-driven and will provide us with the roadmap in our planning, and several operating modes, which are informed by state and national health and safety guidelines. We will keep our community updated here and on division landing pages.
COMMUNICATION: Our communication with you will be proactive, transparent, and timely throughout the summer and school year. Please expect the following communications:
- Week of August 3 - We will share and post student academic schedules, orientation dates/times, garnet and grey cohorts, and phased reopening schedules by division.
- NEW: Is the first day of school still August 18?
- NEW: What is the deadline for participating in remote student learning?
- NEW: Were the parent Zooms with Division Heads and the Head of School recorded?
- NEW: What screening protocol will be in place at the start of school?
- NEW: Does the school have medical experts involved in decisions and plan development?
- NEW SCISA UPDATE: What will athletics look like in the Fall?
- What infrastructure enhancements are being made this summer or are under consideration for the Fall?
- What technology platforms will PG be using this year?
- Will students and faculty be required to wear cloth face coverings?
- What are the enhanced safety protocols the school is putting in place to keep my child safe?
- Will you hold orientation/safety review days for students?
- What data is being used to drive our decisions about operating modes?
- Can divisions be in different operating modes?
- What is the protocol for a positive COVID test of a faculty member or student?
- How can families prepare students for health / safety routines at school over the summer?
- How will virtual learning look different in the Fall?
- What is blended or hybrid learning and how does it work?
- What if my child is high risk or lives with high-risk family members?
- What are our teachers doing to prepare for the possibility of hybrid or virtual learning next year?
- When will we learn about student grouping (ex. Groups 1 and 2 in Orange Mode for Middle and Upper School students) and what weekly schedules will look like?
- What will performing arts look like in the Fall?
- What about community events like CycloneTown or the Halloween Carnival? Or Parent Night to meet teachers?
- What about Extended Day and Enrichment programs?
- What if my child is feeling unwell before school?
The following faculty, staff, and administrators make up the PG Reopen Task Force. We will be adding students, parents, and Board of Trustee members in the coming weeks. Please email your questions to PGReopen2020@portergaud.edu or you may email a task force member directly.