We chose the iPad for LS and MS because its a device that meets most of our students day-to-day technology needs, will help engage students in anytime/anyplace learning, consolidates many educational tools including textbooks, science probes, calculators, calendars, cameras, video recorders, maps, dictionaries, and organizers, and finally, its cost effective, has a long battery life and is easy to use and support. A few added benefits are that the iPad will help lighten the load of backpacks and assist in our goal to reduce the amount of printing and photocopying.
Below are answers to a few common questions.
Q. Do I need to purchase an iPad or will it be provided by school?
No, students in grades 3-8 will be issued an iPad.
Q. Why is the school moving towards a school funded 1:1 program?
A. We are moving in this direction for a few reasons:
- Safety and Management - If the school owns the technology, we can better keep our students safe while online as well as disable apps that we feel inhibit learning.
- The Same Device – With all the students having the same tool in the class, teachers will be able to focus on the teaching and content.
- Break/Fix – Having all the devices covered by Porter-Gaud next year, we will be able to replace the broken iPads in an efficient manner.
- Pricing – When the school purchases the iPads, insurance, and cases in bulk, we get a better price. It will be the same as how we provide textbooks or another program.
- The next device – We want to be in position that when something better than the current iPad will comes out, we’ll be able to switch to the new device whether it is a new iPad or a different device. It’s important to remember that to us the device is just an educational tool to be used in the service of teaching and learning. We are always looking for the best educational tool for our students — whether it is a ruler, a desk, a textbook, or a tablet.
Q. Where can I learn about the iPad and its use in education?
A. Here are some links to help you learn about the iPad in education.
- Apple's Official iPad Education Page
- Apple's Educational Apps Page
- iPads in the Classroom Provide 20% Jump in Math Scores (C-Net)
- Amazingly Educational iPad Apps for Kids
- Project Red Brochure
- Apple Jumps Into Textbooks (Wall Street Journal)
- School Should Center on the iPad (CNN)
Q. What if we already own an iPad?
A. We understand you have purchased iPads for this program. If you want to still use your own for academics, you would need to let us manage the ipad and restrict what apps are allowed on the iPad. If you are interested, please contact me directly.
Q. May students use a different tablet or laptop in place of the iPad?
A. No. We have chosen a single device environment so we can place our full attention and focus on teaching and learning.
Q. May students opt out of using the iPad?
A. No. We are committed to using the iPad to enhance the education of your child.
iPad Training Questions
Q. Will there be any training for students on how to use the iPad?
A. Yes. There will be ongoing training throughout the year with students to help them fully utilize the tools.
Q. Will the school do any training for parents about the iPad?
A. Yes, we will be hosting parent training sessions throughout the school year. We are looking at a few training sessions in the Summer and will post those as soon as the dates and times are finalized.
Q. What apps will be used at Porter-Gaud?
A. Click here to view the master list of school approved apps we will use. You do not need to purchase and install these apps. We will be purchasing and "pushing" these apps to student iPads through our volume purchase program.
Q. Can students install their own apps?
A. No. We want these devices to be educational tools. Because of this, we will be restricting what apps students can install.
Q. who do I install the printer app?
Parental Control Questions
Q. How can I set up parental controls on an iPad?
A. The school will be restricting the iPads that are provided to students. If you want to setup parental controls on your personal iPad, here is a link to help. Click here to learn more about parental controls.
Q. Will the Internet be filtered on the student iPads?
A. School issued devised are filtered on and off campus. We will discuss how to filter your personal devices internet during one of our parent training sessions.
Q. What websites will be used at Porter-Gaud?
A. Click here to view the master list of school approved websites. Please continue to check this list as it will be updated on a regular basis.
iPad Support and Repair Questions
Q. Will my child still need a computer even if he/she has an iPad?
A. The iPad is not a replacement for a computer or laptop. We will continue to provide access to computers and laptops on campus on carts or in labs to support specific projects and software. We may slowly eliminate laptops as student and teacher become more comfortable using the ipad for all projects. Because of our commitment in computer science, we will continue to have computer labs to support high end and advanced software.
Q. Do I need to connect the iPad to a computer? Does it have to be a Mac?
A. No. We will be instructing students how to backup their ipads.
Q. What happens if an iPad gets broken, lost or stolen?
A. All school iPads have maintenance and insurance. This will cover any defects in the iPad for three-years including the iPad battery. Insurance will also cover accidental damage caused by misuse as well as theft or lost iPads. If your child accidentally damages the iPad, we will get it fixed and provide a loaner iPad for your child while its being repaired. We will also charge the family a deductible of $50 to fix the device.
Q. If my child's iPad breaks and is being repaired, will they be disadvantaged in class?
A. If there is a problem with your iPad and it is being repaired, we will supply a loaner iPad so there is no disadvantage to the student. We will not have an unlimited supply of loaner iPads, but we will do our best to supply one. We will also be discussing how to sync your iPad data so the loaner can be set up exactly like your original.