Summer Reading for Rising Fifth and Sixth Graders, 2019-2020
- You will read THREE self-selected books that fit these categories:
- A book about a character who doesn’t look like you or live like you. (fiction)
- A book about a topic you don’t know much about. (nonfiction)
- A book you are interested in reading just for fun. (fiction or nonfiction)
- Selections must be appropriate for your age and ability. No picture books! Selections must be books you have not read before for school or pleasure. We are including some suggestions but encourage you to choose books that really appeal to you instead of sticking to this list. Find books you enjoy!
- You must come to school in August having read in all three categories. Even if a book could work for two categories, you must read three. You are required to bring a PRINT copy of your favorite on the first day of school. Our opening activities will involve these summer reading texts.
Suggestions to Get Your Selection Going
Topic About Someone Who Doesn’t Look/Live Like Me
- Inside Out & Back Again (Thanhha Lai)
- The Midwife’s Apprentice (Karen Cushman)
- Amina’s Voice (Hana Khan)
- Counting by 7’s (Holly Goldberg Sloan)
- Walking Home (Eric Walters)
Topic I Don’t Know Much About (nonfiction)
- Consider people whose stories are interesting - biographies and memoirs.
- Consider topics that interest you in science or history or math.
- Consider places you might like to visit or cultures you’d like to learn more about.
Books Just for Fun
- The Wild Robot (Peter Brown)
- Because of Mr. Terupt (Rob Buyea)
- Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbit)
- Walk Two Moons (Sharon Creech)
- Fuzzy Mud (Louis Sachar)
Summer Reading for Rising Seventh and Eighth Graders, 2019-2020
No written summer work is required. However, we encourage students who read the text(s) in June to revisit them in August before school starts.
Students will be expected to have a paper copy of their texts with them in class each day. Electronic copies are not permitted.
Please purchase the following editions for the summer-reading texts:
Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street
Jules Verne, Around the World in 80 Days: ISBN: 978-0760793626
John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men:ISBN: 978-0140177398
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451: ISBN: 978-1451673319