PORTER-GAUD ALUMNI NEWSLETTER
Alumni Events '20-'21
The Alumni office and PGAA Board are working together to bring you fun and creative events to connect you with other alumni, as well as find ways to enjoy yourself during these wild times. Below is a list of upcoming events and more information to follow.
Virtual Wine Tasting: October 15 and November 19
NBA Draft Virtual Watch Party: October 16: Let's show our Cyclone support for one of the draft's most highly rated prospects, Aaron Nesmith '18.
PGAA Golf Tournament (in-person/virtual): December 4
Virtual 5k: February 8-14, 2021
Career Day(s): March 2021
Alumni Reunion Weekend: April 23-25, 2021
Welcome Travis Smith '09!
We are excited to announce Travis Smith '09 has joined the team as an Alumni Relations Manager. Travis comes on board part-time to build relationships with our young alumni and strengthen the bonds between our school and alumni. He looks forward to finding creative and meaningful ways to maximize your experience as young alumni. Travis will continue in his main role as Strength and Conditioning/Player Development and Basketball Coach.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION (DEI) AT PG: September Update
We want to make sure our alumni continue to have a voice, and the opportunity to help enact positive changes at Porter-Gaud. In the coming weeks, you will receive a short survey gauging your desire to be informed and participate in DEI efforts. You will also be receiving more information about a newly formed PGAA DEI subcommittee. Below are a few updates:
- As part of PG's Strategic Plan to increase diversity and build a more inclusive campus environment, we have hired Chris Boyle and Lawrence Alexander of Carney Sandoe & Associates. The team will serve as strategic partners to support Porter-Gaud’s DEI work during the 20-21 academic year. This work will focus on three areas: DEI training for administrators, faculty, and staff; a climate and culture survey; and board and senior administration development.
- Please join the First Friday Coffee hosted by the Diversity and Inclusion Parent Alliance this Friday, September 11 from 8:00 - 9:15 a.m. for Helping Our Children Deal with the Stress of Returning to School during a Pandemic and During a Time of Social Unrest. The guest speaker is Wendy Waithe Simmons, Ph.D. - New Haven Children’s Ideal Learning District (ChILD)-Executive Director | https://nhchild.org/wendy-simmons/
You can find the zoom link and see more about upcoming events here.
A more comprehensive DEI update will be shared in late September.
New PGAA Board Members
Last week we held our annual PGAA Board Retreat. We had a lively discussion and are very excited about the events lined up for 2020-2021. The board added three new members: Mikell Thaxton '91, Khiry Brown '08, and Ashley Holbrook '97. Thank you to Charles Baarcke '98, Jack Gumb '93, Charlton Wieters '93, Avery Willis Smith '96, Cate Morse Leatherman '04, who have rolled off after fulfilling their commitment. For the full list of current members click here.
Job Change? New family member? WE WANT YOUR NOTES!
Calling all alumni news notes! The fall Alumni Magazine is in full swing, and we would love to feature you in the alumni news notes section. Click here to update your classmates on your new job, new family member, new relocation, recent successes, or anything fun you want to share! As always, feel free to include an image.
We are delighted to invite you to join PGConnect - the new official networking platform for Porter-Gaud. PGConnect brings our community together by providing you with access to the following:
● A running feed of alumni updates, interesting content, photos, and conversations.
● A full, opt-in directory of alumni allowing you to connect with your Porter-Gaud community around the world.
● A mentorship program, giving you the opportunity to be mentored by others or offer mentorship to fellow alumni/students.
● A job board with current opportunities, posted by alumni, students, and strategic partners.
● Group conversations that allow you to engage at a more granular level with those with the same class, interests, careers, industries, locations as you.
● Events posted by alumni, students, and Porter-Gaud, inviting you to upcoming events, encouraging pop-up engagement, coffee meetings around the world, webinars hosted by subject-matter experts within our networks, and other organic engagement opportunities created for and by you.
You can sign up in less than two minutes by registering with your Linkedin or Facebook profile HERE. Once you have created an account, feel free to download the mobile app.
Please feel free to post content on the platform and post your business to the business directory!