Happy first night of Hanukkah! Today, our Jewish Life students read Hanukkah stories to our Lower School students.
Holiday Assembly on Friday, December 8
All students are encouraged to wear festive attire on December 8 to celebrate the season (no uniform required).
Reminder: Toy Drive Ends Friday
The 37th annual Porter-Gaud Toy Drive collects toys for local non-profit organizations serving families and children in the Charleston area. All students are asked to bring an unwrapped new toy to school and deposit it into their homeroom toy box. Thank you for your generosity!
Fall Exam Schedule
Each block has a dedicated time and day for an exam, a cumulative project, or a unit test scheduled for December 14-15 and December 18-19. All classes except for study halls and free periods will meet during their assigned exam block. Students are not permitted to leave for lunch in between exams unless they are free the next block. If they have a free period or a study hall for the afternoon block, they can leave and go home. If they have a free period or study hall during the first block of the day, they may arrive in time for the afternoon block. Students must remain in their classroom or under the supervision of their teacher for the duration of the period to not disturb others. Students are encouraged to bring a book to read or other non-computer work to do while they wait for the end of the exam period.
- Thursday, December 14
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – A Block
- 12:00 - 12:45 – Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – B Block
- Friday, December 15
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. - C Block
- 12:00 - 12:45 – Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. - D Block
- Monday, December 18
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. - E Block
- 12:00 - 12:45 – Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. - F Block
- Tuesday, December 19
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. - G Block
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. - Make Up Exams
Updated Bus Schedule for Exam Week
Please note the addition to new 12 p.m. routes to the bus schedule since last week’s update:
- Wednesday, December 13 - Regular school day schedule plus the addition of a 12 p.m. bus route
- Thursday, December 14 - Regular school day schedule plus the addition of a 12 p.m. bus route
- Friday, December 15 - Regular school day schedule plus the addition of a 12 p.m. bus route
- Monday, December 18 - Regular school day schedule plus the addition of a 12 p.m. bus route
- Tuesday, December 19 - Adjusted schedule with a 12 p.m. afternoon departure as the final route for the semester
Lessons and Carols Service
Porter-Gaud's annual Festival of Lessons and Carols will take place on Saturday, December 9, at 7 p.m. at the Church of the Holy Communion. This year's service features our Upper, Middle and Lower School choirs, the handbell choir, and festival brass and organ as well as scripture readings by students, faculty, and staff. We invite you and your family to join us!
2024 Study Trips
There are still spots available on the Zion National Park Trip for June 2024. We have reopened the application until Tuesday, December 10. You may access the launch page here. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Hyde at email@example.com.
Upcoming College Visits
Meetings with college representatives will be in person and virtual during the 2023-2024 school year. Please click here for a list of upcoming visits.
Thursday Student Programming Block Schedule, 8-9 a.m.
- January 4 - No Thursday programming as it is the first day back from the break.
- January 11 - Interdisciplinary Seminars will meet.
- January 18 - Interdisciplinary Seminars will meet.
- January 25 - 12th, 11th and 10th students will have programming.
You’re Invited: DIPA Coffee on December 8, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
DIPA will host a parent and caregiver coffee on Friday, December 8 at 8:30 a.m. in Washington Hall with the Director and Associate Director of the CEB office, Dr. Yerko Sepúlveda and Mrs. Terra Burke, to review and discuss the newly released CEB programming, which can be found on the CEB landing page. Coffee will be available starting at 8 a.m., with the meeting beginning at 8:30 a.m. If you'd like to join virtually, you can access the livestream here.
Save the Date: Father’s Night Out
Enjoy an evening of food and drink with fellow PG dads on Wednesday, December 13, from 6:30-9 p.m. at Holy City Taproom, 1021 Aragon Avenue, in North Charleston. Learn more and RSVP here.
The PGPA is looking for volunteers to work the concession stand at home basketball games. Click here to sign up.
Important Calendar Dates for Planning Purposes
- December 9 - Lessons and Carols, 7 p.m. at The Church of the Holy Communion
- December 14, 15, 18, and 19: Upper School Fall Semester Exams
- December 20 - January 3: Christmas Break - No School for Students
- January 10 - Junior College Night
- January 15 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - School Closed
- January 27 - Semi-Formal
- February 7 - Sophomore College Night
- February 19-20: Winter Break - School Closed
- February 22-25 - Upper School Musical
- February 29 - 10th Grade Pre-ACT